Scions Cutting and Shipping guidelines

A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
wellingtonbill

Scions Cutting and Shipping guidelines

Postby wellingtonbill » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:25 am

Hello Fruit lovers,
After being a member of this forum for just a few months, I must say it has been pleasurable. I have shared and received scions/cuttings/wood from several forum members and from other outside fellow orchardists. Scions that I have received have been good first year growth and old wood. Hair size scions and to the fine ideal pencil size have greeted me at the mailbox. Double wrapping and keeping the scions moist is important too. I am continuously learning how best to cut and ship, myself. Would it not be helpful for the future effectiveness and success of NASE to strive for a near uniform model of taking of scions and wrapping/shipping. I have found it best to take cuttings (in 7b) in January to very early February, wrap in moist newpaper/paper towel, wrap again in plastic wrap, place in ziplock, and insert inside of a paper towel roll, then ship in a bubble envelope or box. Forgive me for overstating information that you all know to be the way. Good people do come to NASE looking to plant and graft for the first time. NASE will help so many bring fruit to the table and horticulture back to countless families. Below are good links and one comes from one of our forum member's heirloom apple orchards in Lansing, NC. There are more specific how toos in the links below that make for an even better experience. Take a look?

http://bighorsecreekfarm.com/collecting-scionwood/

also from Michigan State University
http://Msue.anr.msu.edu/news/selecting- ... r-grafting ("Wood should be between 0.25 and 0.5 inches in diameter."

Growing Fruit Together for the Future,
Bill Snotherly
Youngsville, NC 7b
Last edited by aphahn on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update title so it catches more people's eye and make stickey

Jamie0507

Re: Scions Cutting Ends - Grafting Begins

Postby Jamie0507 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:31 am

Great post Bill! This is really useful information, especially for those of us who are complete noobs (like yours truly :D ) and really want to participate in exchanging scion wood with others in this community, but are not really sure on the best or proper method of shipping so that the wood arrives in good condition. I would HATE to promise a particular scion to someone and excitedly ship it out (thinking all is well) only to discover later that it arrived in bad condition because of something I did or didn't do right. I like the idea of a "standard way" of doing this, or at least a way that is backed by the majority of members (as opinions will always vary somewhat it seems).

Thank you for a very insightful post full of useful tips :)

aphahn

Re: Scions Cutting Ends - Grafting Begins

Postby aphahn » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:03 pm

Thanks Bill!

We are working on assembling guidelines. In the meantime your post is an excellent place to start.

If anyone else has things they would like to see included in the first cut guidelines, please join in the discussion!
Andy - Zone 6a Lat 39.9º N, Altitude 5390' Westminster CO ⚘ Scion List

Jim Lee

Re: Scions Cutting and Shipping guidelines

Postby Jim Lee » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:08 am

If a the top end of a scion is not a terminal end, it should be cut so that a bud is 3/4" to 1" from the top end. A top bud 1/4" from the end is often unviable, and in some cases the next bud is about 4" down.

wellingtonbill

Re: Scions Cutting and Shipping guidelines

Postby wellingtonbill » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Jim,

Your reply or addition is most helpful. Benefiting from experienced orchardists and commercial fruit growers is what attracted me to this site. Never so old that you cease to learn.

I am glad we will have guidelines uniting us all for the good of the scion exchange community.

Keeping the good earth fruitful.
Bill Snotherly