USDA Germplasm Bank

A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
Chickenlittle

Re: USDA Germplasm Bank

Postby Chickenlittle » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:24 am

You can order online. Start at the address listed above. Register on the website for an account. Then search for things you want. If they have it and it is available, there are two buttons in the upper right side to add this to your favorites or add to your order. If you add it to your order, you can remove later. Add everything you want to your order and submit it.
Tioga Co, NY (Zone 5b) and Columbia Co, PA (Zone 6a)
Primary interest in columnar apple varieties

SkillCult

Postby SkillCult » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:36 pm

I've ordered apples. It was easy and the scions were good quality. With the popularity of fruit culture and grafting taking off, It seems likely that this resource will be curtailed at some point. I'd encourage people to not go too crazy ordering (it's hard!), just because they will be overloaded with orders and possibly have to change policy sooner. Seems inevitable though. It's just too good to last! Sorry to hear about the pears. I was hoping to order a few.
Homestead your mind
www.skillcult.com

macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:18 am

anyone heard if the NCGR at Corvallis, Oregon still may ship any pear scions this year? due to the Xylella fastidiosa quarantine? http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... ver_p.html

EDIT: I just heard back from one of the staff members at NCGR at Corvallis, Oregon and sadly they will not be shipping out any pear scions this year due to the Xylella fastidiosa quarantine

Ortegojeffrey

Postby Ortegojeffrey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:19 pm

Does USDAGermplasm still distribute plant materials? John Preece told me no more fig cuttings will be sent. Hopefully it's only temporary, even though their trees are infected with FMV.

Bunchgrasser51

Postby Bunchgrasser51 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:17 pm

I tried ordering some perry pear scions from their website and apparently they do not distribute scions to people for "home garding, or orcharding" purposes - only education & research. Is this a recent policy change?

Dan

macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:57 am

I think NGR In Oregon does distribute to home gardeners , I've gotten about 100 varieties of pears from them over the years. But I have a Florida Nursery License so that may be helping me. I have some pear scions coming next week from them.