Plum identity crisis

A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
threeplumfarm

Plum identity crisis

Postby threeplumfarm » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi all! New member here; first post. My wife and I own a disused farm on the south shore of Nova Scotia (zone 6a) that has one fruit-bearing plum tree growing on it (the tree with the red leaves in the photo). The tree was planted about 70 years ago by a gentleman who was born on the property, and who bought the tree from a mail order catalogue, and who, sadly, passed away last year. There is an extensive thicket (all the trees with yellow/orange leaves on them in the foreground of the photo), which we believe are prunus Americana suckers, surrounding the fruitful tree, and none of the thicket trees bear fruit. We have finally figured out that the original tree, planted 70 years ago, was probably a cultivar, grafted onto prunus Americana root stock. It would appear that there are no other prunus Americana trees nearby, otherwise there would be plums on our thicket trees. It would also appear that our fruitful tree is self-fertile, as it bears lots of large, oval, very sweet, juicy, clingstone, yellow flesh, red plums, and there don't seem to be any other plum trees around. Both types flower at the same time, and for the same length of time. Since we have so many prunus Americana suckers, we plan on (learning how to first) grafting a bunch of the fruitful tree's scions onto them to save the genetics of the original tree, and to increase our plum yield. Trouble is...we don't know what kind of plums are being produced on the original tree. How can we find out? Tom
Attachments
Plum trees.JPG
Plum trees.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 226 times

IL Paradise Farm

Re: Plum identity crisis

Postby IL Paradise Farm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:27 pm

We need flowering time and fruit ripening times. Photos of the ripe fruit could also help.

threeplumfarm

Re: Plum identity crisis

Postby threeplumfarm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:28 am

I dug through my photos and found several showing the blossoms; one on 22 May 2017 (attached; the tree in the centre is the unknown one, the branches in the lower left are American plum, I think) and another on 28 May 2015. I also found two photos showing the fruit; one on 27 Sep 2015 (attached; zoom in on the little hands to see the flesh colour) and the other on 7 Sep 2016. Hopefully this will help. Thanks for responding!
Attachments
Plum fruit.JPG
Plum fruit.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 134 times
Plum blossoms.JPG
Plum blossoms.JPG (2.71 MiB) Viewed 134 times