I am new to the art of grafting. I started M111 and G41 root stock 2 years ago. I cut them down to ground level a couple of weeks ago, my goal being to clone the new sprouts. When the new sprout are rooted this year, I plan to experiment with some by bud grafting in the summer, before I separate them from the mother plant (which I will do when they are dormant). Others I will wait till dormant before I separate them. My question is: Am I able to graft scions on to the dormant root stock then plant them, or should I wait a year for the root stock to grow, then graft the scions on them the following year?
Tom, Richmond Heights, Ohio
A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
Either way can work. I usually want the rootstock to grow on its own roots for a season so I know the rootstock is strong enough to get a graft growing well. If the newly rooted rootstock has a good set of roots and looks strong and healthy, it will probably be OK and will let you graft a year earlier.
My thoughts exactly, but wanted to get some confirmation from a seasoned vet! thanks Dave!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: jeffnlyd and 1 guest