The Fruit Hunters and Grafters "Most Wanted List" - What are the varieties you are trying to track down???

A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
Andy Russell

The Fruit Hunters and Grafters "Most Wanted List" - What are the varieties you are trying to track down???

Postby Andy Russell » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Welcome everyone! I thought I would start a discussion topic where we can chat about the varieties of fruits and nuts we might be searching for, and hopefully gain some insight into what is out there, what is being sought after, and some history about fruits and nuts in general.

Currently I have cherries on my mind, and I am specifically looking for one called Schaarbeek. It is the traditional semi tart cherry used in Belgian lambics and kriek beers. I understand that the orchards were once very extensive, but just like here in many parts of America, those orchards have been lost to suburban expansion.

Anyone here in America growing this cherry, or maybe something similar that got its start in the old countries?
Andy Russell, St. Paul, Minnesota - Zone 4b-5a(depending on which maps you follow) -

sandbur

Re: The Fruit Hunters and Grafters "Most Wanted List" - What are the varieties you are trying to track down???

Postby sandbur » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:42 am

There are four varieties of apples I would like more information on..

Redfree-is it hardy for zone 3/4 border, is it CAR resisitant? Availability?

Breakey or Breaky-is it CAR resistant and available?

Red River Crab CAR resistant and available?

Norkent- CAR resistant and available in the states?
central Minnesota, Zone 3B, 4A

Pkubele

Re: The Fruit Hunters and Grafters "Most Wanted List" - What are the varieties you are trying to track down???

Postby Pkubele » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:36 pm

Last edited by Pkubele on Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tranman

Postby tranman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:09 pm

i'm primarily looking at different varieties of apples which if proven successful, will venture more into pears and stone fruits.
Apples that have red flesh and are not tart (or more sweet than tart) are on the top of my list.
Tom - Zone 9B SF Bay Area, CA Scion List viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12
Image Image Image

nypaprojectw

Postby nypaprojectw » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:11 pm

sandbur wrote: Redfree-is it hardy for zone 3/4 border, is it CAR resisitant? Availability?
Sandbur, you'll like the information from PRI about Redfree for CAR and winter hardiness.
https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/pri/coop13.html

doublelunger

Postby doublelunger » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:26 am

I am looking for a Disease Resistant apple variety called LibDel. It's a cross between a Liberty x Delicious. Anyone have this tree or know of anyone that sells it or would share scion wood from it?

anntorrence
Location: Torrey, UT; 6,840'/2085m; 7.5" precip; 125 frost-free days

Postby anntorrence » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:28 pm

ISO short season, late frost tolerant 1) cider apples (esp Campfield) and 2) red-fleshed apples

Our orchard is young, but we may have small amounts of scions to share this year.
Blogging about homesteading, photography and living in a small Utah town | Growing mostly cider apples at Stray Arrow Ranch

van wen

Postby van wen » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:03 am

doublelunger wrote:I am looking for a Disease Resistant apple variety called LibDel. It's a cross between a Liberty x Delicious. Anyone have this tree or know of anyone that sells it or would share scion wood from it?
Cummins Nursery lists LibDel in its catalog, but not on its available in 2016 page. It does however list "NY 35 (Bonkers) NY 73334-35 - (Liberty X Delicious)".
Evan

South_Miss_Grower

Postby South_Miss_Grower » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:21 pm

The 4 apples that I am trying to find scionwood for are:
Vanilla Pippin
Seaconk Sweeting
Golden Harvey
Brownlee's Russet

No luck so far!

Chickenlittle

Postby Chickenlittle » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:01 pm

I'd love to get my hands on some 2nd and 3rd generation columnar apple varieties bred in Europe. Several Czech bred ones are now available in the US but another 70 or so varieties are only over there.
Tioga Co, NY (Zone 5b) and Columbia Co, PA (Zone 6a)
Primary interest in columnar apple varieties