Shiro plum as peach on plum inter-stem?

A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
Jim Lee

Shiro plum as peach on plum inter-stem?

Postby Jim Lee » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:35 pm

A year or two ago, Raintree Nursery's catalog had an article about a guy that was doing this successfully. I've been unable to corroborate it's success rate from any other source. Also need details such as how long the inter-stem section needs to be. Would be great if it works since I have many existing seedling plum trees on my property. About 80% of the peach trees I've bought have died root stock and all.

JesseS

Re: Shiro plum as peach on plum inter-stem?

Postby JesseS » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:43 am

I know some folks who graft peach directly on native plum, prunus americana- no interstem. I will be trying this myself this year, just have to wait a bit later than when I do my other top workings.

kshaunfield

Postby kshaunfield » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:27 pm

Did you try this successfully Jesse?
__________________________________________________________________________________
Planting out a 1/2 acre, diverse, semi-dwarf orchard.

garrett4534

Postby garrett4534 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 am

I have a prune plum that came with my property and this year it's growing shoots with peach leaves from the rootstock. I was going to let the one fruit this year to see what it was.

Jim Lee

Postby Jim Lee » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Grafted 4x each onto Shiro: Frost and Red Skin peaches.
Frost didn't even try to take. It's doubtful but Red Skin may yet survive, it struggled it's first year.

I stumbled upon some other information that previously seemed impossible to find. Lovell rootstock is supposedly highly compatible with both peach and plum.

When the snow melts I'll check to see if I have any rootstock sprouts from my few small surviving peach trees. If not I'll be looking for some Lovell scions.

macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:06 am

I have many kinds both plums (japenese only though) and pluots grafted on to nemaguard peach rootstock going strong for 5 years. I think most peaches are compatible with plums but not the other way around. Peach will work as rootsock for plum but plum will not work as rootstock for peach.