Metal tags

A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
Levers101

Metal tags

Postby Levers101 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:46 pm

Does anyone know of a source for metal tags to tag trees with?

If you make them: do you have any tips on what material to use that is readily available?

Pkubele

Re: Metal tags

Postby Pkubele » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:45 am

I am from Europe so I am not sure if it's doable in US (I would say yes). I use old aluminium blinds. Something like this
http://www.selectblinds.com/mini-blinds ... AlUn8P8HAQ
Just cut them into rectangles and get some engraving tool. It lasts forever and even if the paint comes off after some time it will stay engraved in the aluminium. Easy way and for free...

MikeH

Postby MikeH » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:16 am

https://everlastlabel.com/index.php?mai ... c91735bad9

Drill a hole in the end and thread a wire through. Do not attach to the tree because the tree will grow but the wire will not. Attach instead to a stake. Etch with a Dremel.

Jedidiahwiebe

Postby Jedidiahwiebe » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi! I have come up with a technique/solution that I have been wanting to share! I'm planning on developing it further, but no point holding back the beta version.
Okay, so what you do is go get some beer, or soft drink cans. And cut the top and bottom off. Now at this point many of you are thinking.. Ya right Jed I've tried that. It doesn't work. The aluminium from beverage cans is too hard to write on. NOW this is where I have made my discovery. Beverage cans are tempered... yep, you got it just like the tempered blade of a knife or chisel or even spring steel. Who knew that aluminium could be tempered just like steel? And you know what. It too can be annealed. Annealing is a simple process which removes the hardening effect of the tempering. All you have to do is heat up the can, and then cool it slowly. It loses all its's stiffness, and springiness.

I recommend cutting the top and bottom off the can while it still has it's temper. Way easier to work with scissors or a punch. (I was using a guitar pick making tool last year which is like a paper hole punch but guitar pick sized. It's a bit too small I've decided) So you cut your cans into whatever size you want your tags to be, and you put them in the fire. Wrap them up in foil, or put them in a pan or something. But you've gotta get them hot, but remove them from the fire before the tags begin to burn or bubble. Just leave them in until the flat aluminium colour starts to turn funky colours like bronze purple and green. Take it out. Let it cool slowly. And bam, you now have the softest aluminium that you could ever ask for. Now that the tempered aluminium can has been annealed it will be INCREDIBLY easy to write on with a ballpoint pen. The perfect writing surface. Just like those aluminium tags that you see foresters have nailed onto a tree for forestry surveys with all kinds of stuff written on them. Easy to write on. So soft. So permanent.

I assume this would work well on the aluminium blinds as well. Perhaps even better.

Just my 2 cents.
Jed

Levers101

Postby Levers101 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:04 pm

Thanks Jed. That is a good idea. I had the same thought about them being too hard to write on, but I didn't think about annealing them.

aphahn

Postby aphahn » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:24 pm

Jedidiahwiebe wrote:... It too can be annealed. ... Just leave them in until the flat aluminium colour starts to turn funky colours like bronze purple and green. Take it out. Let it cool slowly. And bam, you now have the softest aluminium that you could ever ask for.
Brilant!
Andy - Zone 6a Lat 39.9º N, Altitude 5390' Westminster CO ⚘ Scion List

jbclem

Postby jbclem » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:18 am

I also like the idea of heating up aluminum strips. But the more professional tags that I've seen are sandwiches, two metal sides with cardboard in between. I've tried making them that way and it's possible but a POA and I never found the right kind of metal...I was buying those aluminum baking containers and cutting out the flat areas. Then making a sandwich with pieces of cardboard and trying to crimp the edges with pliers. They were crude, cheap, and worked but a bit hard to read the writing on them.

Eventually I found some good professional ones on eBay, they're large size (3 3/4" x 1 5/8") and in a box of 100. They were made by Green Ridge Designs, Asheville, NC. The large size lets you re-use them and write in new information 2 or 3 times on each side. They come with pre-cut metal wire pieces. And they are easy to write on with a nail and the writing is very legible.

JesseS

Postby JesseS » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:46 am

I have used aluminum flashing cut down, drilled and written on with a nail.s

tranman

Postby tranman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:57 am

i have to admit the beer can thing is a very good idea but since i have had to lower my intake of those beverages that come in aluminum cans, i don't have as much available, that and being a bit on the lazy side. I have found some on ebay that work well. Here is the link of one but you can search for more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amekron-Impress ... 2004180793
Tom - Zone 9B SF Bay Area, CA Scion List viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12
Image Image Image

Dr Bob

Postby Dr Bob » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:00 pm

You can also buy aluminum flashing from Home Depot in rolls relatively cheaply. Etch the labels onto the metal. Drill holes and cut with tin snips. Attached to stake or around a branch with UV resistant zip ties. Good luck!

Dr. Bob