Best grafting knife value for money.

A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
HighandDry

Re: Best grafting knife value for money.

Postby HighandDry » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:00 pm

I'll third Skillcult and 2nd starch. I have the Victorinox grafting knife and love it, but if I were to buy again, I'd purchase the florist knife and save a few bucks. The budding flap lifter is nice, but I find myself using an old butter knife more often than the flap lifter, as it's easier to control and I tear the bark much less often.
Neil
Somewhere in the sagebrush of the high desert, zone 6b

markalbob

Postby markalbob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:25 pm

I am not by any means an expert, but my favorite grafting knife is actually a folding box-cutter. I like the weight and feel of that particular one, and sharp blades are easy.

your mileage will likely vary, but it has been slick as owlsh!# for me....

jbclem

Postby jbclem » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:48 pm

HighandDry, I've been looking for an alternative flap lifter and the butter knife sounds like a good idea. Are you using the pointed kind or the rounded end type?

John

inthewinecountry

Postby inthewinecountry » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:20 pm

Several years ago I happened to be in a Wholesale florist supply house and I noticed they had knifes made to cut thorns off long stemmed roses. Looking closer I saw they were made by Vitroniox and were beveled only on one side. They are a little lighter than a good grafting knife so I wouldn't use them on large scion wood but they are good enough and sharpen easily. One other advantage is they come in colors like yellow , lime green and even hot pink! Makes them easy to find when you lay them down. Oh, I think at last time I bought one it was around 15.00

HighandDry

Postby HighandDry » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:56 pm

jbclem wrote:HighandDry, I've been looking for an alternative flap lifter and the butter knife sounds like a good idea. Are you using the pointed kind or the rounded end type?

John
Just found this question, John. I use the rounded tip butter knife. I find it's too easy to slip up and cut through the bark with a sharp knife. Probably why I'm a chiropractor rather than a dentist like my wife. She could make it work with a pointy scalpel while I'd cut through a 1" branch and take my thumb for good measure. That blunt butter knife is very forgiving.
Neil
Somewhere in the sagebrush of the high desert, zone 6b

inthewinecountry

Postby inthewinecountry » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:14 am

hiighanddry, I had a good chuckle when I read your post. I have noticed over the years most good grafters seem to be in the medical field. One of the members in the Redwood chapter of CRFG is a eye surgeon.

macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:07 am

Best grafting knife value for money.

the best grafting knife value for the money is a utility knife. Very thin and sharp and when the blade dulls you can replace it for under 20 cents. That's what I use for a grafting knife and have made 100's of successful grafts using one.

Hedchange

Postby Hedchange » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:39 pm

aphahn wrote:
Levers101 wrote: I've been meaning to get a no.6 because they have a locking ring. I heard about them from YouTube fruit enthusiast Stephen Hayes.
Don't let Stephen Hayes' videos fool you. He is incredibly skilled no matter how easy it looks. I tried a no. 6 after watching him and couldn't make a strait cut to save my life. You might do better, but for me I need a blade sharpened on one side only.

I recommend you go with the classic Wenger grafting knives. Totally worth the $20. See the resources page for a few places that sell them. The thing to invest in is a good sharpening stone. I like the diamond embedded steel ones, but any good one will do. You may go through a few knives over the years, but with a good sharpening setup they will all be razor sharp!
Agreed, I bought a cheap grafting knife on ebay and it ended up having a double bevel. I could not get a straight cut for the life of me and ended up whittling. Everything ended up taking but it was not pretty. After this grafting season I took out out my wet stone and went to town on the edge. After about 30 minutes I had a decent single bevel grafting knife. After stropping it for a few minutes with some fine polishing on a piece of leather it is now ready for grafting. Very very sharp and makes it easy to make straight cuts.

Jedidiahwiebe

Postby Jedidiahwiebe » Fri May 06, 2016 1:09 am

OP delivers: In the end I purchased the Victoriknox 3.90 50 (under the felco name). This went against my urges to buy the most expensive tool for the job (I'm a luthier - usually with woodworking tools you get what you pay for) and followed y'alls suggestions to try the victoriknox. Another reason I wanted to get the Tina is that they seem to be the only company that offered left handed knives. The Felco (victoriknox) was right handed and I had to spend exactly one hour grinding the bevel on the other side. (Using the fastest cutting japanese water stones that you can buy.) But in the end I am quite satisfied. I cannot believe that you can get such a good knife for the price. It holds a very fine edge! I ground it to 20 degrees, and it seems to hold that edge reasonably well. Depending on the wood I can get through a couple dozen grafts without dulling the excellent cutting edge too badly. I have to say though. The honing of the bevel on the knife I received left quite a bit to be desired. However with proper sharpening equipment you can get a really nice edge on it!

I purchased it direct from: http://www.felco.com/felco/pages/catego ... 0GREFFOIRS Very good price and 5 dollar shipping within Canada! Unheard of! Nice to get a taste of that cheap shipping that yous guys are used to in the states!

So I guess that's my review.

Nick

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:06 pm

macmanmatty wrote:Best grafting knife value for money.

the best grafting knife value for the money is a utility knife. Very thin and sharp and when the blade dulls you can replace it for under 20 cents. That's what I use for a grafting knife and have made 100's of successful grafts using one.
I use a utility knife as well. Specifically, a Stanley 99 handle with 11-921 blades. Extremely sharp, strong, and durable, it can make a straight cut very easily, over and over and over again. And it doesnt slip out of my hand after doing hundreds of grafts.