Grafting pear scions to apple rootstock?

A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
Cheekyjen

Grafting pear scions to apple rootstock?

Postby Cheekyjen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:50 pm

Can you graft pear to apple rootstock? Or Apple to Pear rootstock? Asian pear to be exact.

I have 1 variety of apple and 1 variety of pear scions. I wanted to buy an apple tree and graft the two onto it, but I was told it won't fruit. Is this true?

markalbob

Re: Grafting pear scions to apple rootstock?

Postby markalbob » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:07 pm

it isn't that it won't fruit, and it is....you have 2 possible problems:

1. Apples and pears are not compatible. I believe some folks have grafted winter banana to pears, not sure how many pear work with winter banana even but other apples do not take pear, to the best of my knowledge.

2. many pears and almost all apples need a pollinizer. Apples can fruit if there are nearby crabs, so it isn't uncommon that there is something around to cross-pollenate, but if not the pear won't pollenize the apple, and vice versa. What varieties do you have?

Your best bet may be to graft both to rootstocks, do two trees, and graft a pollinizer branch or three to each. Your next best is to determine which varieties winter banana works with and if possible try to get that as an interstem....

inthewinecountry

Postby inthewinecountry » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:10 pm

It can be done. But may only work on certain varieties. Doubt you can do Asian pear to apple. I only did it once by mistake. I was given what I thought was Pink pearl scion wood. I was out of regular root stock at the time so I dug up a actual apple root and grafted to it. Little harder as roots are very soft compared to grafting wood above the ground and it breaks very easy. I waited about six years or eight years and it finally fruited only to find out I had grafted a pear to a apple root!

tranman

Postby tranman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:15 pm

man that's a long time to find out. Do you think it took that long only because it was not grafted onto a pear rootstock?
Tom - Zone 9B SF Bay Area, CA Scion List viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12
Image Image Image

inthewinecountry

Postby inthewinecountry » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:22 pm

tanman,
Maybe, but the tree was in a pot and its been there so long it rooted. I think its more of the location. I had it on the North side of my house in between the house , a oak tree to the west and a apple tree to the north. It gets no sun all winter and maybe 1/2 a day in the middle of summer so I think all those contributed to it taking so long. I plan on digging it out and moving it as I like the pears and kind of like the little bugger since its survived in these conditions and even with a appleroot its produced good fruit. I think its a Forelle pear.

inthewinecountry

Postby inthewinecountry » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:22 pm

tranman,
Maybe, but the tree was in a pot and its been there so long it rooted. I think its more of the location. I had it on the North side of my house in between the house , a oak tree to the west and a apple tree to the north. It gets no sun all winter and maybe 1/2 a day in the middle of summer so I think all those contributed to it taking so long. I plan on digging it out and moving it as I like the pears and kind of like the little bugger since its survived in these conditions and even with a appleroot its produced good fruit. I think its a Forelle pear.

subject2

Postby subject2 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:57 pm

I have heard that a pear can be grafted onto an apple root stock if you use 'winter banana' apple as an interstem. Check on the Nafex FB page for better information. I have not tried this.

tranman

Postby tranman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:30 pm

My 20th century asian pear scion took on my granny smith apple tree last year. it survived the winter and the buds are starting to open this year. Will see how it goes from here. However, i will be trying out pear to apple with winter banana interstem on this tree since i was able to get a hold of some winter banana scions this past january.
Tom - Zone 9B SF Bay Area, CA Scion List viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12
Image Image Image