Stone Fruit Order of Grafting List

A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
Cheekyjen

Stone Fruit Order of Grafting List

Postby Cheekyjen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:55 pm

I have never grafted before, but I am interested in grafting as I am a renter. I want to buy potted trees and then graft onto those so I at least have one variety that will work.

I was told there is an order of grafting success for stone fruits online, but I couldn't find anything. I want to buy a stone fruit tree, which one doesn't matter. Just the easiest one to take grafts on

Ex.

Plum >peach > aprium > pluot on apricot rootstock
Peach rootstock>plum rootstock > ...

Does this exist?

markalbob

Re: Stone Fruit Order of Grafting List

Postby markalbob » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:03 pm

I can't speak to relative ease, too shallow a pool of grafting knowledge, but I can say a few things from my limited experience:

Apples and pears are extremely easy

I have a Coe's I grafted several European plums on and a bunch of Euro plums stuck on myroblan or Marianna rootstock....they grafted almost as easily.

I believe the other stone fruits are somewhat more difficult, can't say how much but I can say Euros were still pretty easy....all whip-and-tongueon rootstock which had buds swelling or opening.

Brooklyn_Ken

Postby Brooklyn_Ken » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:19 pm

Is your plan to graft them one onto another in one long chain? You've got a four-year project ahead of you. And it'll all fail if the more basic graft in the chain fails.

If I were you, I'd start with a pluot. Then graft your plum, apricot and aprium scions all onto the pluot. The reason for this choice is that the three types of scions are all genetically related to the stock, and you can therefore expect a higher chance of success.

The following year, get your peach scions and try grafting onto the pluot, plum, apricot and aprium (assuming the latter three have taken). Your rate of success will likely be lower because the peach is not so closely related to what you're grafting onto. But then you're doing four different stocks, so hopefully one will succeed.

BobVance

Postby BobVance » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:14 pm

This will only be my 4th year grafting, so I don't have a ton of experience like some old-timers (just under 500 grafts from my logs). But, from what I've seen so far, the spectrum is something like this.

Pear (easiest)
Apple
Plum
Apricot
Peach/Nectarine (hardest)

There is a big difference between Apricot (still not too hard) and peach (much tougher). I've found that I lose a lot of peach grafts, even after I thought I had a take.

Mulberry, persimmon, and jujube seem to be somewhere in the apple-plum area. I don't have any experience with cherries yet (will be doing those this year though).

I should mention that grafting to potted trees, especially newly planted ones, is much tougher than grafting to established, in-ground trees. There just isn't as much vigor in them.

starch

Postby starch » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:48 pm

I agree with Bob's response. Going by what stone fruits I grafted this spring:

Plum - 100% takes, both chip buds and cleft grafts (20+ total grafts) - Rootstock: Santa Rosa
Pluots/Apriums - 100% takes, both chip buds and cleft grafts (6 total grafts) - Rootstock: Dapple Dandy, Flavor King
Peaches - 80% takes (20+ total grafts) - Rootstock: Floridaprince

Here are some other deciduous grafts for reference:

Apple - 100% takes, both chip buds and cleft grafts (20+ total grafts) - Rootstocks: Dorsett Golden and Anna
Jujube - 100% takes, chip buds only (3 total grafts) - Rootstock: GA-866
Fig - 90% takes, 90% chip buds, 90% cleft grafts, Some of the scion wood in question which could account for failures (50+ total grafts) - Rootstocks: Black Mission, Black Jack, Panache, Violette de Bordeaux, Smith
Persimmons - 80% takes. 80% of chip buds, 80% on cleft grafts. Some of the scion wood in question which could account for failures (20+ total grafts) - Rootstocks: Izu and Fuyu
Pomegranates - 60% takes. 100% on chip buds. 20% on cleft grafts (20 total grafts) - Rootstock: Wonderful

I could also discuss subtropicals if interested.
Chandler, AZ. USDA Zone 9b / Sunset 13
Scion list: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25

CollinDe

Postby CollinDe » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:47 am

Hi I am looking for plums, pluots, plumcots and aprium scion wood. Would you have any?