Freezing scion wood?

A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
garrett4534

Freezing scion wood?

Postby garrett4534 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:47 pm

I have read about some people that freeze scion would in blocks of ice. Most people seemed to do it with apples. Is this a bad idea? I heard pear scions start sprouting very quickly in the fridge so I was wondering if freezing them could help keep them dorment.

van wen

Re: Freezing scion wood?

Postby van wen » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:41 am

I'll hijack this slightly, dunno about freezing in solid blocks. My thing is that wood in my fridge advances to much for my liking. I'm sure it has to do with the constant opening (temp fluctuation) A dedicated newer fridge ain't gonna happen. I live in New England, so what I have done in the past for rootstocks is to bury them in a snowbank on the north side of a building. Of course I get them in March which is a far cry from the -10f predicted tonight (my poor brass monkey). What I intend to do is to harvest scions this weekend and bury them in said snowbank in poly bags.

Blackeye

Re: Freezing scion wood?

Postby Blackeye » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:09 pm

For what it's worth, I accidentally froze a bundle of scion wood last year. Thinking it was for the trash, I threw it in the freezer for some practice wood for the new guy I was teaching. It was frozen for several weeks. I rudely thawed it in a bucket of water, and made new cuts on the bottoms of the leftover sticks and shoved them in a mason jar of water to see what would happen.

To my surprise, almost all budded out, flowered, and and new growth several inches long before dying off.

Whether there is viable cambium tissue to graft, I don't know. The sapwood certainly worked. I will absolutely never swap or sell frozen scion wood, but may try to graft for myself just to see what sort of viability exists.