Disease Resistant Apples

A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
p--s

Disease Resistant Apples

Postby p--s » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:56 pm

I've been trying to research heritage apple varieties with disease resistance from the zillions of tidbits out there with the hope of putting it all into a spreadsheet. Does anyone have any suggestions of resources for this? I am very clumsy with computers, is there a way that I can begin a document that others could add their own known varieties/comments to?

What are your favorite varieties in the DR category. One reason I'm interested in DR heirlooms is that I somehow have the idea that many of them may be hardy in other ways than just DR, for instance more tolerant to insect damage or resistant to late frosts, etc... Does anyone have experience with this?

danzeb

Re: Disease Resistant Apples

Postby danzeb » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:05 am

One way to share a document is to use Google Drive. You can create the document using Google Docs and then store it in Google Drive. Once is Google Drive you can post the link to allow others to modify the document.

To get more info on disease resistant apples you could ask the folks at Growingfruit.com.

hirn04

Postby hirn04 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:57 pm

The Home Orchard Society had a spreadsheet on disease resistant apples that had some heirlooms included in the 1325 varieties listed.
It was compiled by Ted L. Swensen in 2006. I would contact www.homeorchardsociety.org for more information.

p--s

Postby p--s » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:41 am

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into the google approach, and also really appreciate the home orchard network suggestion, (no sense in trying to redo the work someone else has already done.)

For now I'll post my (incomplete) sheet as an attachment here. The data on it is from Tom Burford's book, from several catalogs, "the New Encyclopedia of Apples," and several university publications. Where I found conflicting information I included both perspectives. I'd appreciate any feedback or other observations.

Oh, I don't seem to be able to attach excel files.... I'll have to dig a little deeper

van wen

Postby van wen » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:06 am

The problem with Apple Scab (the big one here in New England) is that it mutates over time. Both in terms of resistance to fungicides and range of susceptible host cultivars, Baldwin being an example of the latter. Any older literature would list it as resistant. In Europe some of the modern cultivars from disease resistant cultivar (drc) breeding programs are being overcome by new strains of v. inequalis.

p--s

Postby p--s » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:12 pm

van wen wrote:The problem with Apple Scab (the big one here in New England) is that it mutates over time. Both in terms of resistance to fungicides and range of susceptible host cultivars, Baldwin being an example of the latter. Any older literature would list it as resistant. In Europe some of the modern cultivars from disease resistant cultivar (drc) breeding programs are being overcome by new strains of v. inequalis.

Do you think that means it's not worth planting varieties with resistance to scab? It seems to me like they should still be resistant to the non-mutated forms of scab. Tho one report I read from Michigan recommended against planting scab-susceptible varieties in the same blocks as resistant varieties.