Metal tags

A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
Jedidiahwiebe

Re: Metal tags

Postby Jedidiahwiebe » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Good idea! I have some aluminium flashing. I will try and anneal it. Perhaps it too can be softened :-) Will post my results.

SkillCult

Postby SkillCult » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:30 pm

I've used aluminum printing plates for many years now. Some of my tags are probably 8 to 10 years old. The good thing is you can cut them with scissors or a paper cutter, punch a hole with anything and write on them with pencil or scratch them with a sharp stylus. I used to scratch them on one side for posterity and write in pencil on the other. But over the years I noticed that the pencil was permanent. It seems to eat into the coating or something. Now I often only use pencil. They are usually cheap or free from an old school printing shop that still uses ink presses. They are used once and recycled. They also make good rodent collars around young trunks and garden plant tags.

The down side is that the holes wear through eventually. I punch them as far away from the edge as possible, but it's still just a matter of time flapping in the wind before they wear all the way through and fly away. I may start doubling them to see how that goes. Check back with me in 15 years...
Homestead your mind
www.skillcult.com

inthewinecountry

Postby inthewinecountry » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:28 am

I use the aluminum blinds they are cheap and free and if you roll them around the branch, they will expand as the branch grows. If you punch a hole and tie a wire the wire will eventually break over the years or the hole will cut through as has been mentioned and they fall off. The soft aluminum and the ones with cardboard which stays wet will become hard to read since Alum does corrode. The blinds are painted so they will last longer. I work for a metal company and we have 16oz Copper scraps and I was using that with coated electrical wire and punching name with a die set. Two problems with doing this is it takes too long to punch the name and the copper tarnishes and is hard to see on the tree. But I think they will outlast me!

tranman

Postby tranman » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:24 pm

have you guys ever thought about rolling the aluminum on the side where you punch the hole so to give it more support from tearing off?
Tom - Zone 9B SF Bay Area, CA Scion List viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12
Image Image Image