Columnar apples and Pears

A place to discuss grafting, orcharding, and related topics.
Dr Bob

Columnar apples and Pears

Postby Dr Bob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:05 pm

Does anyone have columnar apples and or pears for trade or for sale?

Chickenlittle

Re: Columnar apples and Pears

Postby Chickenlittle » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:37 pm

I have a number of columnar apples purchased or grafted last year but not able to share scions yet. I have the 4 Urban Apples series (1 or 2 patent protected), Golden and Scarlet Sentinel, Northpole, and crimson spire.

Scionwood for some of the stark spires (crimson, emerald, and scarlet) are available from Maple Valley. They have scionwood for a variety called Northpole too. My success with maple valley wood was poor. I only got 2 crimson spires to take. Stark has some spire trees available.

Columnar apples are a little different to work with. The one year old growth tends to be very thick, closer to a half inch diameter. I'd recommend getting larger caliper rootstock or maybe growing the rootstock for a year before grafting. The shoots have closely spaced buds so you have a lot of buds on each graft. T budding is more efficient with the buds but you would still end up wasting buds because they are so closely spaced.
Tioga Co, NY (Zone 5b) and Columbia Co, PA (Zone 6a)
Primary interest in columnar apple varieties

Dr Bob

Re: Columnar apples and Pears

Postby Dr Bob » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:48 am

Thanks for your response oh so long ago. I have been away from the website for a couple of years. I appreciate your advice. I have acquired a few varieties including Red River and Polka from Europe. I did purchase Golden Sentinel and it was damaged by deer during its first year so it is still recovering. Cheers! :D